We were blessed with kids that eat (mostly) everything that we give them. However, I created these hidden vegetable, protein rich pancakes as a snack option and also as a fast meal, for the days where i’m not so organised!
The combination of eggs, milk, cheese and millled seeds gives a great variety of amino acids (protein building blocks) for your immune system, muscle repair and growth.
I regularly get asked by other mums how to get their kids to eat more vegetables…..hmmmmmm…… To be honest the main pieces of advice I can give you are:
- Let them see you eating the same things: eat together as often as possible. This reassures children that the food is safe and yummy! Plus they usually want to copy – so prepare to have to scrape their food onto a china plate like yours & give them a “big boy/girl” fork (like there isn’t enough washing up to do!)
- Persevere. Our kids wouldn’t touch tomato, and are still hit and miss with it, however I just offer it on the side of their meal – if they eat some great, if they don’t it’s not a big deal. The best way to encourage a child to eat is to let them do it at their own pace, like anything toddler-related, they will take the (and I quote myself as a toddler) “do-it-myself” approach! If you try to push them, they WILL resist!
- Make hidden vegetable foods, such as these pancakes. Sneaky I know, but at least you know they are getting some nourishment.
- 4 fresh eggs
- 2.5 cups flour (I used spelt)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 130g mixed vegetables
- 15g hemp seeds
- 10g parsley
- 20g flax seeds
- 45g grated cheese
Makes 10 pancakes (they freeze well, or the batter can stay in the fridge for the next day)
- If you have one, place the hemp and flax seeds into a seed mill and blitz to a powder first.
- Then blend all ingredients together in a food processor until all vegetables are chopped and seeds are broken up.
- Heat a large frying pan (on medium heat) with a little extra virgin coconut oil. The pancakes cook as normal pancakes in a frying pan, around 2 minutes on each side.