This cake slice is incredibly moist, no refined sugar and has no added oil! The combination of strawberry with rhubarb reduces the tartness of the rhubarb, as does the bicarbonate of soda – a little trick I learnt recently.
This is great for adults as well as children as a super healthy snack idea.
- 550g stewed rhubarb (if you make this the night before then add the sultanas so they plump-up overnight)
- 100g sultanas
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g strawberries, chopped into small chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Makes 20 (2 x 3cm) slices
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a 16 x 26cm brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- To the stewed rhubarb add the vanilla, sultanas, eggs, coconut and strawberries. Mix well.
- Now sift in the flour and mix well.
- Lastly add the bicarbonate of soda and baking powder – this will cause a reaction with the rhubarb and will start to bubble, gently fold the powder in and try to keep the bubbles!
- Gently pour the mixture into the lined brownie tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once it is lightly brown on top you can remove it from the tin, carefully, and place onto a cooling rack upside down, so you can remove the paper underneath. Allow it to fully cool before cutting the slices.
- Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.