What do you do with over ripe pears?!? Make this!!!! It satisfied a desire for a dessert, provided a portion of fruit and reduced our food waste – a nutrition hat-trick!
This is very easy and fast to make, and looks impressive too if you have guests. I enjoy this without any topppings but it would also go very well with natural yogurt.
- 5-6 pears (mine were overly ripe & bruised….Hence the recipe!)
- 350ml water
- Dice-sized chunk of root ginger
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Place the cinnamon, peeled/sliced ginger, star anise & cloves in a pan with the water. Bring to the boil, while peeling, halving & coring the pears.
- Place the pears in a steamer over the spiced water mix & steam for 10-15 mins depending on the size of your pears.
- Remove the pears but keep the pan on the heat, turn it up to boiling & add the maple syrup* Boil for around 10 mins to caramelise the mix. KEEP AN EYE ON IT! One second it’s liquid, the next it’s burnt!
- Serve by drizzling the spiced caramel over the pears, keep the ginger if you like spice, but remove the other spices before eating
*If you don’t like sweet foods then just enjoy the steamed pears without the sauce! The spiced steam flavours the pears amazingly well