This would be a great recipe for a slow cooker!
Black beans are a great source of insoluble fibre, folate, manganese, iron and protein (to name a few). Their fibre content aids digestive function and don’t fear, if you soak the dried beans before cooking and then rinse them and discard the water it removes over 30% of the substances that can cause bloating after eating legumes….
- 250g dried, soaked black beans (soak overnight, covered in water, then rinse before cooking)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red chilli, chopped (include the seeds if you like a kick)
- a dice sized piece of ginger
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml chicken broth
- salt/pepper/chilli powder
- 1 level tbsp cacao
Makes 4 portions.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to a heavy based pan on low-medium heat with a little oil of your choice (I used butter).
- Cook until golden then add the remaining ingredients, plus an extra 120ml of water used to rinse out the tin of tomoatoes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer for around 90 minutes – Easy!!
- Cooking time might vary depending on hte size of the bean so keep checking whether they are soft.
- Serve immediately – I served it on a bed of vine ripened tomatoes with chopped spring onions.