It has taken a few goes at getting this recipe right, but I am now happy to share it with you. Perfectly timed for the rhubarb season!!
- 500g stewed rhubarb
- 100g sultanas
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 260g ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Makes 10 large muffins
- If you have time, add the sultanas and maple syrup to the stewed rhubarb and leave them to soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- If you have just made the stewed rhubarb then add the sultanas and maple syrup to it while you leave it to cool.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the cooled rhubarb, except the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Prepare your muffin tin by lining it with 10 large muffin cases.
- Now add the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, it will start to fizz! Mix it well but gently so you keep some of the bubbles.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases so they are about 3/4 full and place into the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden and you can nolonger hear them crackling when you take them out of the oven.
- Place them on a cooking rack until completely cooked.
- Store the muffins in a sealed container in the fridge, they should keep for 5-6 days, or you can freeze some.