The flower sprout – an ingenious cross between a brussel sprout and Kale. These little buds of heaven are delightfully flavoursome with all of the goodness of a sprout, but with a much milder taste – something that might get your children eating their greens!!
I have experimented a lot with Kale chips and decided to have a go at roasting the flower sprouts. By some miracle it worked the first time. They came out with delicately crispy outer leaves and a soft gooey middle. I used them in an omelette and also on salads, as well as just having them as a low calorie snack between meals.
- Take as many flower sprouts as you like
- Coconut oil
- Himalaya salt
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Gently steam the flower sprouts until almost cooked, then dry them in a clean tea towel.
- Put a little melted coconut oil onto your hands and gently rub a little onto each sprout, you don’t need much.
- Add a little salt and place onto a lined baking sheet and put into the oven.
- After 20 minutes remove from the oven and turn them over, then return them to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes until they start to crisp and go golden at the edges.