A pancake recipe that has never failed me! They contain no added sugar as the vanilla extract and coconut provide enough flavour. The texture is so light and fluffy, you have to try them to understand what I mean when I say that they are crispy yet creamy…..seems like an oxymoron, but these pancakes make it happen!
Our boys love these and are always first in line for the first batch. They are a great addition to a breakfast buffet when you have guests – I can guarantee they will ask you how you made them.
Treat yourself this weekend with some!!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 250g ricotta
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 55g spelt flour
- 100ml whole cows milk
Makes 10 pancakes
- Separate the egg yolks into one bowl and put the whites in another bowl. Beat the whites with an electric whisk until stiff.
- To the bowl with the yolks add the ricotta and vanilla, mix well. Now add the flour, baking powder, milk & coconut. Mix well.
- Gently fold 1tbsp of the egg whites into the ricotta mix. Continue gently folding in the rest of the white mix, enduring you don’t over mix to keep it nice and fluffy.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, add a small amount of oil, when it’s hot add 2 tbsp of the pancake mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Flip with a large spatula. The pancake will remain light, fluffy & creamy in the middle, so cook until it’s golden on the outside and is firm to touch.