This is a great weekend breakfast option (read: a breakfast to make when you have time to cook). I love this. You could use any fruit, but we just love plums with this and the star anise really goes so well with them. Whenever I can, I soak things overnight to speed up cooking in the morning, it is my little cooking tip for hot breakfasts!
- 3 plums
- 3 star anise
- 140g pudding rice
- 200ml almond milk plus an additional 180ml
Serves 2 people
Prepare the night before with points 1 & 2:
- Chop and de-stone the plums. Place the plums in a pan with a little water, enough to just cover the base of the pan, add the star anise. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until the plums are stewed. Set aside and allow to cool, leave the star anise in the pan for now.
- Put the rice in a bowl with the 200ml almond milk and allow to soak overnight in the fridge.
In the morning:
- Place the rice/milk mix in pan and begin to cook on a medium heat, add the additional 180ml milk. Cook for 15-18 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- To serve place the rice in a bowl, or an old jam jar, and top with the stewed plums (remove the star anise before serving).